Sunday, February 12, 2006

Lanell's Vows

One evening in July 2005, I couldn't sleep. So I got up and wrote a promise to Lucy. After I wrote it, I knew these would be my vows to her when we married. The first draft was the final draft. I hand wrote them on fine paper and sealed them in an envelope with a special calligraphy sticker that I've had for probably 15 years, just waiting for the perfect letter to affix it to. With tears in my eyes, I read...


My Love,

How could I have ever known you'd be around the corner? What sweet, sweet love we share.

Lucy, you're my companion and friend. I promise today and always to be whole to you - to bring my whole self into whatever we set out to do together.

I promise to be courteous and to offer my genuine lovingkindness.

When we are challenged, I promise to hold your hand and walk even closer by your side. I promise you openness and honesty, absolutely.

I promise to always care for myself so that I may be true to you.

I promise to always help you reach your fullest potential.

I promise you all the fun and dynamic joy I can share and create with you.

I promise to be generous and kind.

I promise to greet each day with a beginner's mind - eager for discovery, yet humble enough to accept what is - in the present moment.

I promise all this to you and so much more- my sweet Lucy - today, November 5, 2005 with our friends and family bearing witness to my devotion.

Love, Lanell


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home