Monday, February 13, 2006

Christmas '05 in Santa Fe - Lanell's Version

So, we spent Christmas in Santa Fe with the Anderson's. It was a FABULOUS time - hard not to in such a magical place at Christmas. The pinyon was amazing. It snowed lightly one morning, but mostly it was unusually warm. We shopped ourselves silly. I think Lucy inspected every last piece of silver jewelry in all of Santa Fe. Highlights of the trip were (not necessarily in this order):

* dinner at The Compound - my first oxtail! (in the form of ravioli)

* after-dinner conversations with Bill & Lou in their room, next to the pinyon fire with Buddy and Georgia supervising.

* brunch at La Fonda on Christmas Day - it was hard for me to decide which "seconds" to have first, more succulent turkey breast with gravy or chocolate dessert. I ultimately decided to have both.

* Buying our wedding rings at the Charlotte Store on the square.

* Sunset at Ojo Caliente! three words - MINERAL HOT SPRINGS! Must go back there. Lucy and I soaked our tired, dry bodies in yummy mineral springs for an hour, by a pinyon fire, with a red cliff backdrop. We said goodbye to the sun and hello to the stars. We counted them, and there's a LOT!

* Interviewing Bill on his childhood memories. We audiotaped our conversation which lasted about 2.5 hours and I hurriedly scribbled notes. It's my project to gather this all together and share it with the family. I plan to interview everyone. ;)

* Santa found us in Santa Fe - or at least, he found Lucy's stocking. On Christmas morning, Lucy awoke to a handmade stocking (by Lanell) filled with tons of goodies - lotions, lipsticks, mini sharpies in all the necessary colors, gum, healthy bars, all the necessities...

* Bill's game with bandanas - On Christmas morning, Bill gave each of us an envelope with our names on it. In our envelope was a brand new, crisp bandana. The person who had the most creative use of wearing theirs got a prize. When he said "GO!" there was mayhem. Imagine all of us hurrying to put on our bandanas in a creative way. Lucy made hers into an apron. I made mine into a swaddle wrap (I swaddled my scarf-baby into the bandana) and stuffed it under my sweater. Others used their bandanas as a loin cloth, a head wrap, a bracelet, a santa hat, etc. The prizes were more bandanas! It was so much fun. We made a rule that you had to wear your creation to our fancy brunch at La Fonda. I think Ashley was the only one who followed that rule.

It was such a memorable trip and we are so, so, so thankful for a wonderful family! Thank you Bill and Lou!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home